Amour by Michael Haneke
What happens to love when a couple grows old? Music teachers Georges and Anne are in their eighties. They have spent their lives together, yet still love each with the same intensity as the day they met. One day, Anne suffers a stroke, leaving one side of her body completely paralysed. With their grown up daughter now living abroad, Georges insists on carrying out the task of caring for Anne alone. The couple faces the challenge of looking illness and the threat of death in the eye.
AMOUR, the winner of the Golden Palm at Cannes, finds Michael Haneke following the couple’s relationship to its inescapable conclusion, raising the question of a dignified end to life – and love.
- Genre: Drama
- Runtime: 127 Min
- Country, Year: France, Germany, Austria, 2012
- Languages: French
- Subtitles: German
- Screenplay: Michael Haneke
- Cinematography: Darius Khondji
- Editor: Monika Willi, Nadine Muse
- Producer: Margaret Menegoz , Stefan Arndt, Veit Heiduschka, Michael Katz
- Cast: Jean-Louis Trintignant, Emmanuelle Riva, Isabelle Huppert, Alexandre Tharaud, William Shimell, Ramón Agirre, Rita Blanco, Carole Franck
- Production Company: Les Films du Losange, X Filme Creative Pool GmbH, wega Filmproduktionsges.m.b.h
- World Sales: Les Films du Losange